Monday, December 07, 2009

Invented

Take me with you, ocean; drift me out to sea...

I think they've lost their use for me here on the bank. I'm sitting with my elbows on my knees, on a sun-bleached piece of driftwood. My hair, I've been told, is like straw in the dust. It's splitting and wrapping around my fingers and face, getting caught up like only hair can in its own private wind storm. My eyes tend to shine best in bathroom mirrors and gazing across lonely horizons, places nobody gets to see them. Here they're reflecting a million colours, they share common roots with the Pacific.

Sometimes my fingers rake the sand, picking up some oddly shaped rock, shiny black or flecked with red. This is special, I tell myself. I intend to keep it forever; give it some sort of significance. Like if I press it tightly to my palm, to the very centre, the world will see it's meaning. The world will see that this rock, among the infinite others, is a precious one. It's warm and strong, intricate and brilliant. I feel it through my skin, in my heart.

Shaped and painted by the sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home