Monday, May 04, 2009

oh reminisce, don't mind me

Let me tell you about my time at the course

Early mornings we arrive, pulling into the gravely parking lot
Sauntering in past our lockers and time clock,
Putting our bodies through the motions while our brains still slept
At round plastic tables we hid our heads in elbows
Hiding from the neon lights and the barking voices of Al, Steve and Steiner
I'm always on the greens, but I still have to wait for them to send me away
I can listen to find which boy gets cut from fairways today
Maybe I'll pass him on the rounds...

With dankness still clinging to the air we find our ways to a cart
Mower four is generally slow, try to avoid it
The hum of the engine and the tires on pavement lull me in this morning movement
One by one I pass the occupied greens, each worker in a progressive state
Unload, walk-to, start-up, turn.
I can barely see the reflection of dew on the green,
So for the first couple rounds I am guessing my line
Otherwise, I am distracted by the magnificent sky
Every morning it designs itself different
Bursts of cloud, streaks of orange, the sun is never modest being
My morning song is always created and forgotten around the rising

As for practicality, we have it all figured out
One hole an hour, sometimes you'll tag the end if you're quick
If you calculate your position correctly, you can prepare yourself for each green
And if you know you're ending up on 15, you'll probably want to lap someone
Once horizontal, once vertical. Always horizontal on the slopes.
I used to vary my speeds but now I'm on full tilt entirely
My turn is smooth and precise and no rough is damaged in the action
Granola bar at eight and one at nine thirty, they never tasted so good
Holes 7 and 16 are perfect for singing, preferably if a raker isn't hiding in the trap...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home