Monday, September 22, 2008

Mamma

Old women wraps herself in scarves and tells her son she'll see him again
He barely remembers who she is beneath her skin

Her feet walk her through leaves and snow, ice and water, sand and grain
She wants to walk around the world, she tells all who fault to listen

The earth is my mother, she tells them. I never knew anyone else but her
I never had an umbilical cord or a first breath out of water, I just woke up

My daddy probably left her. The sun behind the moon.
Isn't that how it always goes...

And the people walk away.

Wrapped in scarves her ears are dull and her hair is thin
Some say she is held together by the patterned fabric and thread

Skin is loose but that is how it should be, she says
Like the dirt from the rock or the water from the dirt

Nothing stays around for long, so neither will I
Old women walks back home

Her son barely remembers she left,so she unwraps her scarves

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home